Trying to figure out how much a new garage roof will cost? We will look at the garage roof replacement cost in terms of the materials used and the cost of hiring a specialist to replace and install a new garage roof. We’ll also walk you through the price range for a garage roof replacement and give you suggestions as to who to talk to about your replacement needs.
Installing a new garage roof is not the cheapest home improvement project around. Getting in touch with roofing contractors to get a quotation can be a tedious process too as more often than not, there can be hidden costs. However, at LD Roofing our hope is to make this process easy for you and we’ve put together this article to help you understand the various cost items involved.
How much does it cost to replace a garage roof?
The garage roof replacement cost is dependent on a number of factors. You may want it completely replaced or all it might need is some repair work. Your garage roof may have been subject to damage due to weather or an accident. Or perhaps it is just down to the usual wear that happens to years spent in the open, taking on the full force of the often unforgiving British weather.
Either way, the cost would depend on the severity of the damage. Therefore, an accurate cost of garage roof replacement can be provided upon carefully assessing it. However, we can provide an estimate on how you could come up with the garage roof replacement cost.
Garage roof replacement prices
The costs mentioned below are average estimates based on the types of garage roof, materials used, and the extent of the damage. This could be used to help you understand how much it would cost you to carry out a garage roof replacement.
|Garage Roof Size||Duration||Material Cost||Labour Cost|
|Single Garage Flat Roof Replacement Cost||1 Day||£450||£350|
|Double Garage Flat Roof Replacement Cost||1 Day||£700||£350|
The table below outlines the cost per m2 which is ideal if you require roofing replacement of varying sizes. If you simply multiply the cost per square metre by the area of your garage roof, you should be able to arrive at your estimated garage roof replacement cost.
|Type of Garage||Cost/m2||Total Estimated Cost|
|Medium single garage 2.7m x 5.5m – EPDM Rubber roof||£90||£1,336|
|Medium single garage 2.7m x 5.5m – Felt Roof||£50||£742|
|Standard Double garage 6m x 6m – EPDM Rubber roof||£90||£3,240|
|Standard Double garage 6m x 6m – Felt roof||£50||£1,800|
Best garage roof materials to use
One of the most important decisions that you’d need to make when replacing your roof is to choose the right type of roofing material. At LD Roofing, we specialise in providing felt flat roofing materials and EPDM materials.
Felt roofing replacement
This is a low–cost garage roof replacement option that has proven results. It’s cheaper than the others and is suitable for any roof size and is therefore more flexible.
It uses a comparatively traditional system of roofing but is good for moderate use.
EPDM rubber roofing replacement
EPDM is a perfect both as a replacement garage roof material or for newly built garages. They are very lightweight, flexible and longer lasting. Unlike felt roofing materials, you do not need heat during the application, and it’ll last a long time.
They generally have over 50 years of life expectancy and there’s very little maintenance required for your EPDM roofing too. This makes EPDM garage roof replacement cost to be a great investment that provides cost savings over the long term.
Factors to consider when replacing a garage roof
If you have decided to go ahead with replacing your garage roof, it’s important that you consider the below factors:
- Roofing material: This is an important decision to make and it is best that you consult with a professional who has experience working with various types of roofing materials. The choice by itself depends on the weather conditions, resistance to weather, durability, cost and waterproof capabilities. For instance, if it’s a pitched roof, specialists are likely to recommend EPDM/rubber as the ideal roofing material.
- Drainage system: Fixing/replacing the drainage system can vary and the choice mainly comes down to the type of roof. For example, if you’re replacing a flat garage roof, the roofing contractor would have to incorporate a slight slope to ensure the water flows smoothly. On the other hand, pitched roofing will naturally have a slope which circumvents the problem in the first place.
- Making the switch between flat and pitched roof: This is a very important decision and requires careful and professional analysis by expert roofers. If you want to replace your flat garage roof with a pitched one to reap its benefits, you will need to consider other factors such as its cost, time, effort and also practicality of setting the right foundation for extra support.
- Climate Conditions: As mentioned above, the surrounding climatic conditions can affect the need for replacing a garage roof. If your garage requires extra protection from adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain, storm and wind, you would need to replace it with a strong roofing structure that can withstand the same.
- Time & Cost: Last but not the least, you would need to assess the time and money you are willing to spend on replacing the roof. If you are on a tight budget, you could contact your local roofer for financing options or even get their opinion on simply repairing your garage roof.
Our garage roof replacement process
If you’re planning to replace the roof on your garage, it’s important that you recognize that it could be a fairly large project, and even may be too big for an inexperienced do-it-yourselfer to complete. Garage roofs are very steep and can have a high slope, so they present many challenges. This section outlines our process of a garage roof replacement that we have mastered over the years.
The first step would be to remove the old roofing which can take quite a while depending on the materials used. For instance, if it is heavy asphalt shingles, it may take two contractors 1 – 2 days to complete this step.
Once done, we will assess the foundation of the roof especially if it’s timber. We will ensure that the structure is strong at its base to ensure it holds firmly. Though this may not always be necessary, it’s best that we do it when we’ve got the chance to.
We will thereafter replace it with a new roofing structure. During this step, we will also ensure it has a slight slope for the water to flow and set up the drainage system.
If you are replacing the new garage roof with corrugated sheets, we will carefully nail them straight into the joists. This is generally handled by professionals who have experience in carrying out this job as appropriate tools are needed too such as suitable roofing nails.
Next, we would move on guttering which is optional based on your requirement. This is yet another task that needs to be handled carefully by our professionals.
Checklist for hiring a roofer to replace your garage roof
As you may have noticed above, it’s important that you choose a roofing contractor who has experience in garage roof replacement. Below are some of the points you would need to consider when hiring a roofer:
- Working Location: Looking for a local roofing contractor is always a good idea as they are likely to be more flexible and easily accessible. You can check our list of working locations to see if yours is listed. If not, you can still get in touch with us for an enquiry as we might be able to accommodate your request in certain exceptional circumstances.
- Accreditations: It’s important to find out if the roofing contractors have the right certifications and accreditations to carry out the roof replacement project. At LD Roofing, we are approved and registered with CHAS, SMAS and CSCS which gives us the capability to work on any set of proposals or specifications.
- Follow Local Regulations: It’s important that the roofing contractor that you choose follows the local regulations and procedures. This will help you ease through the process of passing plans and approvals. For example, at LD Roofing, there are instances where we follow the building controls put forward by the Northamptonshire County Council.
- Financing: This is especially useful if you are on a tight budget. At LD Roofing, we provide financing options towards completing your roofing project.
There are many factors to take into account before deciding upon replacing a garage roof. One of the main factors to consider is roofing material that you need to replace with, in addition to deciding the depth of the slope, the need for a drainage system and more. More often than not, it’s always best carried out by a professional roofer to provide you with a peace of mind.
Get in touch with a professional roofer to ensure you get the highest quality service at an affordable price. Most importantly, remember to ask questions before signing any legal contracts or giving money up-front!